Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reflections for 2/14/10

"That's where the Kingdom proclamation relativiizes all of reality. If Jesus is Lord, then America is not lord. The Pentagon is not lord. The gross national product and economic development are not lord. Whiteness, neighborhood, culture, gender and denomination-all not lord." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p.99)

Being #1 seems to be the most important thing in our society. College sports are consumed with who the number one team in the country is week by week. And every time the current #1 loses a game the fans storm the court acting as is if world peace has been achieved.

I personally believe that America is a great country. I haven't lived anywhere else so I can't for sure say that it is the best. But there isn't any place else I'd rather live. And yet I know it could be even better. We do seem to like proclaiming that we're Americans when we go abroad, though here in our country we often hyphenate with some other country.

We certainly are the strongest militarily and the men and women who serve deserve my prayers and my respect, but salvation doesn't come through the might of an army.

GNP and economic development may be indicators of corporate health, they are not what will bring me joy and peace. And actually the GDP is a better indicator for individuals, but again joy, peace and love don't come from money.

All those labels that define me white, straight, surbanite, male Episcopalian, do not make me any better than someone else. They may be descriptive but I'm still a human being made in the image of God. With the weaknesses that are inherant in the human condition.

When we don't have these other definers in proper perspective they become lords, and start lording it over us. We lose our freedoms when we make idols out of them. All of them have a role, and many could be put to good use in promoting a better world. But as long as the shadow side of all them is given more time to be in charge, idolatry will soon follow.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment