Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reflections for 9/1/10

"What do you think happens when God forgives your sin? Is it God changing suddenly, reassessing you? Is it God deciding to waive some eternal and required punishment? No! Nothing happens in God. God is a perfect given-ness, toatlly and always given, literally fore-given: ahead of time, before our act of faith."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p.294)

Most of us understand how forgiveness works when it comes to human relationships. Someone says they're sorry and the other person chooses to forgive or not. Sometimes forgiveness comes before its even asked for. Sometimes its even given and you didn't know you did anything to be forgiven for.

But with God the feeling is different, probably because it isn't a direct transaction. It just happens. Does it mean that we shouldn't ask for forgiveness, no confession necessary? I suppose from God's perspective probably not. But the need to confess, seek absolution etc, is more for me. Do I have enough self awareness to know when I went too far? Am I humble enough to be able to admit when I am in the wrong?

I'm glad I don't believe in God keeping track of everything I've done wrong just waiting to zap me with it. Yet I don't feel compelled to take that given forgiveness for granted. I don't view it as a divine get out of jail free card.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment