Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Reflections for 9/14/10

"There is no big ideology in that. There is no leftist or rightist politics. I'ts finally just compassion and solidarity with friends and victims, and a willingness to pay the price for that friendship. Maybe we just need to build relationships byeond racial and class lines. Justice would soon follow."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 308)

I consider myself a fairly open person. I've tried to the best of my ability to let go of the biases and prejudices that almost feel genetic from being a white, straight, middle class, male. As my boundaries have expanded as to who I choose to befriend or at least stand in solidarity with, I have found my life enriched and also that I'm not as quick to laugh at something that isn't really funny. I now know enough people and love and respect them that when a comment that deliberately belittles someone who is not like me, I put a face to it and it isn't nearly as clever.

I also find that by spending time with those who are not like me, I get clearer as to who I am. And a deeper more mature person arises from that contrast. I realize that I am not superior to these other folks, nor am I inferior. I also know that there are a lot of people out there for whom I'd stand up for.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment