Friday, September 3, 2010

Reflections for 9/3/10

"The second temptation of Jesus: Satan takes him up to the pinnacle of the Temple, symbolizing the religious world, and tells him to play righteousness games with God. 'Throw yourself off and he'll catch you.'(Matthew 4:6) It's the only time when the devil quotes Scripture. The second temptation is the need to be right and to think of the self as saved, superior, the moral elite standing on God and religion , and quoting arguable Scriptures for your own purpose.
More evil has come into the world by people of righteous ignorance than by people who've intentionally sinned. Being convinced that one has the whole truth and has God wrapped up in my denomination, my dogmas and my right response (I am baptized, I made a personal decision for Jesus, I go to Church).
It's not wrong to be 'right.' Once in a while if something works out, that's sure nice. The spiritual problem is the need to be right. we are called to do the truth and then let go of the consequences. One stops asking the question of spiritual success, which is the egocentrism of the rich young man: 'What must I do to inherit eternal life?'(Mark 10:17). Jesus refused to answer him because it is the wrong question. It is again 'the devil' quoting Scripture and not really wanting an answer, only affirmation."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.294-295)

I've noticed recently in our country that there's a lot of verbiage flying around. Sometimes its random quotes from Scripture, sometimes a pious platitude, and even some nationalist jingo, all for the appearance of being right. Most of it hollow and none of it ready for a follow up question.

It often happens that the only way we can ever feel right is if we can find someone to paint as wrong. And then attack, attack attack. I try hard to get below the surface of this nonsense, but the water was pretty dense and hard to break through.

As a person for whom a good part of my vocation involves words, I know there power. I also know that some words are loaded and can be misapplied with disastrous results. A well thought out and articulated sentence is a good thing. Shooting off at the mouth to justify my existence, not so much.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment