Sunday, September 26, 2010

Reflections for 9/25/10

"The apocalyptic style emerges to free prophets from taking themselves or their role in history too seriously. It says that after all is said and done (the work of the prophet), give history back to God and be at peace in the transcendent truth. don't try so hard that you become part of the bigger problem. The prophet might appear to be saying, 'Work as if it all depends on you.' The apocalyptic figure says, 'Pray and trust as if it all depends on God.' At the end of the day, cool it; forget it, and give history to the Holy One who is going to achieve the victory anyway."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 319)

Most of know the prophetic voices from the past, and even those in our own time. They are the ones who will point to what is wrong and try and call us to be agents of change. For me a real litmus test of the authenticity of today's prophets is, can they cool it. If no one knew their name, if no one praised them, if it wasn't about their celebrity then I might be inclined to take them seriously.

Apocalytic voices are also prophetic. Or at least they share in the pointing out of the problem. They may also advocate for action, and may be involved in working for the change, but they ultimately know when to let it go and let God finish the work. Things that succeed are from God the Bible tells us. Things which we believe to be important are not necessarily coming from that place.

If I can't ever let things go. If I'm 24/7 passionate, then I risk becoming the reason for doing something. I am not saying that I shouldn't advocate for justice, peace, the needs of the poor etc. I'll continue to do that. I'll even put some sweat equity into it. But I'll also realize that it is not about me. It is about trusting that God will in fact move and act in greater ways than I.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment