Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reflections for 9/30/10

"Our struggle, our desire, our yes is significant and necessary. But in the end it is always grace that carries us up the staircase."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 325)

While I've never been a big proponent of the myth of the rugged individual that is so prevelant in our culture. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps mentality, does not take into account the presence of other selfish people around you.

I'm also not a fan of the idea of waiting for God to take care of everything by Godself. I do believe that God expects some level of effort on our part for us to make it through our earthly pilgrimage.

Yet as a person of faith, I have begun to realize how important to me God's grace is. I have experienced it in those times when I just want to quit, and yet somehow got that second wind and kept going. I have experienced it when I have felt deeply hurt by circumstances beyond my control and people who I deeply loved and cared for. And rather than spiraling down into deep despair, that grace agains comes in and lifts me up, dries my tears and says, this is not the end.

God can do many good things for us. What is truly amazing about that is the small effort that is really required on our part.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment