Thursday, September 23, 2010

Reflections for 9/23/10

"Somehow it seems salvation should show in our faces, our lives; in our fire, conviction and zeal."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace p. 317)

One of the funniest photos I've ever seen, okay that's a bit of an overstatement, but a funny picture that I've seen was on the web site Pharisaios Journal. It is basically a spoof site, with a lot of inside English High Church humor. But the picture's caption read "the Lord is our joy and life." The picture was of these two dour looking folks who looked like they just ate a lemon.

People of faith do have the capability to be happy, not any more than most, but we certainly proclaim it. And yet we sometimes present such a serious face that rather than a "fullness of joy," it looks more like an absence of joy. It is also true that there is sometimes a mask of smile worn by people of faith, that once you start listening to what they are saying, you wonder how that translates into a smile.

I try to live my life as one for whom salvation has been freely given and I am invited to share it with others. I'd like to believe that the smile that is on my face is one because I am glad to be alive. That I truly feel blessed in so many ways.

I like having energy in my worship, and do so within the context of a somewhat structured liturgy. Yes it is possible to be enthusiastic in an Episcopal Church and still look like an Episcopal Church.

Perhaps if we Christians spent more time talking about what brings us joy in our lives rather than constantly whining about what's wrong, especially with others, we might not feel as insignificant as we do.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment