Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reflections for 9/28/10

"Obedience is important. But I also believe in ways of listening for and hearing the Spirit beyond looking to the hierarchy or the Bible. No one else can do our homework for us."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 323)

I think I have a love-hate relationship with obedience. I'm not a natural born trouble maker, nor am I one who is often found on the forefront of any challenge to authority, at least not in demonstrative ways.

I doubt that I would have made a very good soldier, I'll play in the rules as long as they make sense. But I have been known from time to time to stand up to authority, it's just not my default position.

When I try to discern what God's will is, I will look at scripture, good to know where we've been in the beginnings of our faith, but I'll do some reflecting on what I'm reading. I do not subscribe to the bumper sticker "God said it, I believe it, that ends it." I also do respect the tradition, but again will reflect on it, ask questions of it. I don't believe the past is only full of mistakes that need to be corrected, but I won't idolize it either.

I do like the sense of accountability that comes with being part of a hierarchy, mainly because it keeps me from flying off the edge of the cliff. But I do like a little bit of freedom to make some choices and to do some thinking for myself.

I do believe that the spirit of God is alive and well. And may in fact be doing things that don't always parrot scripture or blend well with the hierarchy. But we need all three to be in conversation, to see where the will of God might be going in our generation.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment