Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Reflections for 9/8/10

"Our checkbooks are probably our best theological statement about our real values. Jesus said, similarly, 'Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace p. 301)

One of the greatest stewardship challengers I ever heard was to pray my check register and my date book. Both are excellent indicators of our values and our priorities.

My checkbook register certainly would show that I place a high level of care for my family. I try to give them the basic necessities of life. It will also show that I'm not the best at saying "no." It will also show that in the past I have allowed materialistic instant gratification to dictate decisions. Much to my later regret.

My datebook would show that family and my vocation take up most of my time. And that they occupy a good part of my heart. Lately however there have been entries like gym. Which shows that I am actually intune with a need to love myself as well.

I hope that as I try to model better decision making both in financial and time management, I can instill decent decision making skills in my kids, so that their lives can truly reflect what is of actual value and importance to them.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment