Monday, September 6, 2010

Reflections for 9/6/10

"What is the American experience? What is our experience of life, for good and for ill? It's the only experience you and I have. I would list the essentially good values of American culture as : personalism, freedom and self-determination, pluralism, up-front honesty, democratic self-criticism, a not-so-bad emphasis on productivity and practical effect, and a natural egalitarianism that disdains caste systems in any form. These are all potentially gospel and part of the cosmic mystery of the Body of Christ."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 299)

Today is one of those federal holidays, that has lost its original intent, but does try to remind us of what a great country we live in. Granted I don't know much about life outside of the USA. I've only been to two other countries, so I can only speak of what I know about the country I live in.

So what do I love about this country. First, I love the beauty and diversity of the landscape. I've been privileged to see 48 of the 50 states and each one has something unique to offer. I love that I can worship anytime, any place and anywhere I choose. The police will not be kicking down my door for being an Episcopalian. I love that I have a small say in who my elected leaders are. I'm not always pleased with who wins, but I know that in a certain amount of time, usually 4 years, I can try again. I actually love that we can freely express ourselves without worrying about thought police. That as long as I'm not threatening harm on another human being, or outright lying in a way that brings harm to them, I can run my mouth all day long.

Outside of the landscape, all of the things that I value are a result of sacrifice of others and the risk taken two hundred plus years ago to create a different type of country.

Sometimes as I listen to what is said, I wonder what others love about the good ole USA. I regrettably hear a lot of negativity. Perhaps what most of us need is a month or two living in a different country which does not value our freedoms. On the return we may find that while this may not be a perfect place, it really is great.

What would you say you love and value about our country? Can we get past patriotic platitudes that defy definition? Can we say here's something specific I really love and would miss if it were taken away?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment