Thursday, September 2, 2010

Reflections for 9/2/10

"I believe that all would-be ministers must face the same three temptations as Jesus before they really can minister. The first temptation of Christ, to turn stones into bread (Matthew 4:3), is the need to be effective, successful, relevant, to make things happen. You've done something and people say, 'Wow!' Good job! You did it right. You're OK.' When the crowds approve, it's hard not to believe that we have done a good thing, and probably God's will.

Usually when you buy into that too quickly, you're feeding the false self and the system, which tells you what it immediately wants and seldom knows what it really needs. You can be a very popular minister operating at that level."

I certainly know that temptation well. As a clergy person, we often get told how great we are. Of course I also know clergy who get told how awful etc they are. Most of us, even those that aren't clergy want to be effective, successful, relevant etc. no matter what are vocations. The more applause we get, the more positive and affirming any review of our work is the better.

I suppose the warning is to not always buy everything that's being said. One of my problems is often that I don't believe anything that's said about me. I've had plenty of people tell me that too.

I try to take the time to process any feedback and not go with my first reaction to it. Positive feedback, to much elation, negative to much depression. Somewhere in between those two extremes lies the reality of how we're doing. We're called to do our best, it might not always be what everybody wants.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment