Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Reflections for 9/7/10

"With so many time-saving devices, it doesn't make sense that people are so rushed. People seem to have so little time to do what they want. We've crated tremendous accessibility to one another through the telephone, the car, mass transit, telegrams, postal service."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 300)

I wonder when Fr. Rohr actually wrote this, considering what he cites as time saving devices that have made more accessible. I believe we may actually be in worse shape now. Add cell phones, internet chat, and now skype. How further along before teleportation is the norm?

While I certainly have most of the gadgets that are in style now, I do get what his point is. All of these things that are supposed to free up time, only create more time to be productive, they don't actually create quiet time, fun time, or anything other than more work. I have colleagues that give their cell phone number out to any and everyone. I grant that privilege to very few outside of my immediate family. And even then, I was for a long time prone to forgetting to take it with me. Perhaps deliberately on some subconscious level.

While we trumpet our connectivity, we really do live more isolated lives and our relationships are not all that deep. If I can chat with you on some social network cite, (which I am guilty of) then I don't actually have to have a face to face with you. And people wonder why they feel so alone.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have all these gadgets. They undoubtedly serve a purpose. But when they become a substitute for real friendships and connectivity, they become another device for dehumanization.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment