Monday, September 20, 2010

Reflections for 9/20/10

"While denominations haggle over metaphysics and belief systems, argue about who is saved and righteous with God, defend their sacramental and scriptural turf, Bill Wilson and his followers have moved forward with a humble realism that is both rare and convincing. They begin at an honest place and end at the same without arguing, proving, defending or spouting religious jargon. They come together not as a gathering of the saved but wearing their 'scarlet letter' for all to see. They don't have to be talked into salvation theory or a need for God out there."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 314)

While I have never personally gone to a 12 step program, I grew up in a church that opened its doors to a large number and variety of 12 step programs. My own church opens its doors to an AA group. And I have seen people's lives change for the better as a result of having that community to work through and be supported by.

I do think churches and would do well to take a look at how these folks interact. While giving space for them to meet is certainly the right thing to do, they may have something to offer us as well.

I don't have a lot of time or patience for the theological and scriptural arguments that infect the Body of Christ. And while most Christians will tell you they are sinners also, they do tend to want to move away from that statement quickly and get to judging others. That's much easier than confronting one's own problems.

I may never actually go to a 12 step meeting, though I know that they exist for my addiction, overeating. The principles that are it's basis, those steps, are probably a great model of a spirituality that has real possibilities to strengthen my own faith.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment