Monday, September 27, 2010

Reflections for 9/26/10

"Action and contemplation are the two polarities that regulate and balance the faith-filled life. It saddens me that most Christianity is right in the middle. It's neither radical interiority nor radical engagement. You don't learn much in the mediocre middle, and you don't have much to give."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.321)

When I first read that quote, I got a little bit miffed. I like the middle. I enjoy the shades of gray. I'm much more comfortable there. Radical stuff has always seemed to me to push the envelope further than it needs to go.

But there is some truth in what he says. I do believe and try to live out a faith-filled life that has both action and contemplation. Though neither is as deep as it could be. I'll take the action until there is something else calling for my attention. Unfortunately that sometimes doesn't take very long. I do not have long periods of contemplation, I don't tend to gravitate towards more than a day long retreat, though I could probably use one.

I do think that the middle isn't as mediocre as he says. It isn't red hot passionate stuff, but it works for many people. It is the place where one can venture back and forth from when the call to action or contemplation is stronger than usual.

In many ways that middle place is a safe haven and the real balance.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment