Monday, March 1, 2010

Reflections for 3/1/10

"Remember the bumper sticker 'I found it'? The Holy One becomes 'it,' a pronoun, a thing. Even the Lord becomes a consumer object that I can privately possess. Now that is surely heresy in any religion." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 114)

All I need to do to know whether I'm a willing participant in the consumerist and materialist culture that rules our world, is to walk around my own house. There are countless examples, usually lying in piles of things that I thought I needed, could possess and then ultimately got bored with fast, and could easily discard when they no longer interested me or where useful.

The throw away culture is a by product of the materialist culture. There does seem to be very little in life that is not affected by this mind set. Even religion gets infected by it. Faith communities even small ones have adopted business models. We have mission statement, we use media to advertise our existence. You can buy things to let people know who your god is. Of course the flip side of that faith, is that you can discard it when it no longer works.

The challenge for me is to stop trying to tell God how its going to work. A little more time listening to what God wants me to understand would be a great first step. To hear instead of the idea that I chose God, but instead that God chose me. And that I won't be thrown out as soon as I become useless.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment