Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reflections for 3/30/10

"Salvation is now. We have a tendency to point ourselves backward or forward in time, but the Gospels say either we are letting Jesus save us now, or we aren't letting him save us at all. It's called the always-available grace of the present time." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 141)

I have noticed a peculiar habit I have in my alone time. I will either go backward in time, usually to high school or college, and try to think of what I would do differently or I'll dream about the future, 4 years until the boys are hopefully in college, 14 years and I can contemplate retiring.

I don't know why I avoid dreaming about today. Perhaps it is that today just is. Today will have its tasks to do. It may have some surprises, but most likely will fall into a predictable pattern.

I will say that when my today needs the most of me, I don't spend a lot of time remembering the past or dreaming about the future. And it is also true that when my day is filled or starts to fill up rapidly, that I need that readily available grace the most.

I believe that grace was with me in those past times, and I feel assured that it will be there in the future as well.

While I believe that one act saved once for all. I need to renew my reception and living into it daily.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment