Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reflections for 3/17/10

"It's not easy, because we want to have our pathway illuminated in front of us. We want to know where, how, why we're going. Faith, though, is the security to be insecure. Our trust is in God and not in our own cleverness. It's not in our ingenuity, our planning, our personality, status, money." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 130)

There is an ad out there now for some financial company where a green path suddenly appears showing people their path to financial success. The message being stay on this path and don't detour and all will be fine. Most of us wish that such a thing existed in all aspects of life. Yet we know that is not real.

When we face decisions there always seems to be more questions than answers. Sometimes even the answers beget more questions. And yet somehow, even without everything lined up, even in the absence of a triptik through life, we step out each day.

I honestly don't know what each day has in store for me totally. I have a vague idea, but something may happen that throws all my best laid plans right out the window. And at that point, all of the self-created security and certainty are gone. It is at that moment that faith kicks in for me.

My security is supposed to be my belief that God is always with me. Yet that is a somewhat insecure place, because its not always obvious. There are of course many ways in which I've been given gifts from God, which make living in this world, and stepping forth each day in faith easier to do. The question will always be, will I remember those gifts and use them when I need them? Will I trust that I actually have everything I need to meet the day ahead?

I hope so, but in that insecurity, I feel fairly secure.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment