Saturday, March 27, 2010

Reflections for 3/27/10

"You cannot build on fear, guilt, coercion or even idealism. You cannot build on Gospel passages, Church commandments, or papal mandates unless they are ultimately putting you in touch with life." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 138)

I have often thought that the best way to start something positive, would be to state what you are for. Regrettably most of the time I hear what people are against. They may try to frame it as being for something, but below the surface you will quickly find that it is about being against something.

We have way too much brokering in fear these days. Way too many guilt trips and very little realistic goals. Everything seems to me to be all or nothing. There is no room anymore for gradually growing into anything.

If I have ever been an agent of change, it has been done in a way that no one knew what was happening. One brick at a time is a mantra of sorts for me. You will not find me operating from a place of fear. Nor will I guilt people out. Jesus almost never does it and that's a good enough model for me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment