Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reflections for 3/24/10

"But human beings always think we have to earn God's love. We work for it and ,by doing good things for God, think we are going to get God's blessing and love in return. This is Jesus and me religion. It ends up being a self-centered morality of self-perfection and discipline. Christians have so commonly used the phrase, "I must save my soul."....As long as you're busy saving your soul, you're preventing God from saving your soul." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" pp.135-136)

While salvation comes from belief, it is also true that there are examples in scripture where people seem to want to know what they must do to be save or to be right with God. Our natural default position is ourselves. Regrettably, what's in it for Ed, is often one of the first questions I ask. Somewhat selfish and definitely self serving.

I find it interesting that when Jesus gets asked that question, he tries to make it easy, and then ultimately when the answer isn't satisfactory really gives the person something to think about, and its usually more than they're willing to do.

I will not be saved by doing good things, for behaving. I'm already saved by virtue of my relationship with Christ. Having said that, if I am then not doing good things and attempting to lead a positive life, I'm basically making that relationship worthless.

There does not exist a checklist of what to do. Actions don't bring salvation, it is freely offered. Once accepted it is supposed to lead to action.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment