Monday, March 29, 2010

Reflections for 3/29/10

"Why would God give us anything we ourselves were not willing to work for? We don't want it very bad if we're not cooperating in the effort. We pray 'Do it God!', but also 'We will do it, too!' God creates and invites us to co-create. What trust and infinite patience."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 140)

This quote is part of an analysis of the Lord's prayer, specifically the forgiveness part, you know the forgive us our sins, trespasses, debts, as we forgive those....

It certainly would be easier if God would just take care of everything. If God would just focus on Ed's needs and ignore everyone else. Yet what I have found is that God does take care of my needs by showing me how to deal with my problems and my needs. How this works is never as simple as me telling God what to do and it happening. Grace is more of things happening, not by my own efforts alone, but by co-working with God.

God does take care of the world's problems, generally not by some divine intervention, but by the creating and stirring of compassion in human beings towards each other. If we are looking for compassion and mercy from God yet unwilling to offer the same to others, we will be incredibly disappointed. Not that God rewards it, but there is no way to receive what we are closed to offering others.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment