Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reflections for 3/14/10

"Moses said to God, 'Who am I to go to Pharaoh and bring the people of Israel out of Egypt?'(Exodus 3:11) The Lord answers, 'I shall be with you.' That's all. Simply, I'll be with you! He wouldn't tell Moses how to do it. He doesn't give him a timetable any directions-simply 'I'll be with you.'(Ex 3:12)" (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 127)

My inclination is to not have a plan or an itinerary. However I live with other people so I usually have to have one. Personally I wouldn't find it hard to leave on a journey and just go, but not everyone is able to do that, so to get folks to follow they usually like to know where they are going.

Everyday we're asked to go out into the world and most of us leave with our datebooks, and smart phones ready to tell us where to be. In our work there is usually a set way to do things in order to achieve our goals.

There are of course risk takers out there, people who venture forth with little more than a wing and a prayer. They usually have the more interesting, though not always successful experiences.

I wonder if I would be willing to go into something on nothing more than pure trust? While I do believe that God is constantly present, is that presence enough for me to risk going into the unknown? I would like to think so.

The other part of the Moses-God dialogue that enters into the how much will we trust is this. Moses asks for a sign, how does he know that it is really God talking to him? The answer, when it's over you'll worship on this mountain. That's not much of a sign, but it is a continued nudging into a place of trust. We won't know whether what we do is truly of God, until the journey is over.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment