Saturday, March 13, 2010

Reflections for 3/13/10

"If we haven't forgiven the enemy within, we will never know how to love and forgive the "enemies" without." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 126)

I am my own worst enemy. That would seem to be fairly obvious. When I look back on when things have not gone the way I would have liked, I can usually see where I've shot myself in the foot, or undermined my own best efforts. I'm never thrilled when I make that discovery, because it always seems to lead to a "why" question. And then the circle continues.

When I discover the answer to the "why" I then need to take the next step, which is to acknowledge the mistake and then forgive myself for it, rather than beat myself up over it.

Unfortunately, if what I've taught myself is to self-flagellate then when the pain of that gets to much I may seek others to be angry with. Yet if I can accept self-forgiveness, that makes room for the forgiveness that is already given by God to take root. And when forgiveness and mercy are the bedrock of our being, then we are able to extend it to others.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment