Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reflections for 3/18/10

"Our temptation is always to shorten the time, make our timetable God's timetable. We want to get out and get it over with. But we cannot rush the journey of faith. We have to attune ourselves to its times and seasons. You can't bake a cake quicker by turning up the heat to 450 degrees, nor can you slow it down by lowering it to 200. It will flop either way." (R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 131)

Why is this taking so long? That always seems to be the daily question. Whether we're stuck in traffic, on hold with the phone, waiting for some file to download or whatever it is that has swept away that last grain of patience.

If I try to be in control of how fast or slow things go, it won't take long for frustration to set in. If I'm in a rush, it is almost a rule that something will get in the way. And if I'm going slow there's somebody else making me feel uncomfortable.

A picture that came into my mind is of being in a canoe. The most enjoyable canoeing is when the river takes you. You might have to paddle a little to steer, but ultimately how fast or slow you're going is based on the speed of the current. Perhaps life well lived is like that. Not trying to control every piece of minutia, but using the gifts and talents we have to make the ride safe and enjoyable.

When I try to have my timing in sync with God's, ultimately I won't be doing much. If I really need to move faster, I'll know, but I won't rush just for the sake of rushing. If I need to slow down, I'll know, but I won't go slow just for the sake of going slow.

There is a right speed for every moment. And when we're traveling life at that speed, our moments are much more enjoyable.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment