Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reflections for 3/23/10

"Christian life, then, is a matter of becoming who we already are." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 135)

Who am I? The big question in many ways for me. We spend most of our lives constantly trying things on, and yet struggling to answer that question definitively. We'll change jobs, churches, political affiliations, friendships, all in attempts to grasp at who we are essentially. Allowing us to be defined by very superficial categories.

Honestly I don't know what to do about that. I wish I could stop asking that question. At what point do I just say, Ed is Ed. Parts of Ed are outstanding, other parts annoying (to myself and others).

What I need to be more observant of is when I do things that are not truly representative of the person I am. When I betray core values with flippant remarks. When I allow myself to get caught up in mindless time wasting non-activity.

It may be also true that in spending so much time on the who am I question, one that was answered at the time of my baptism, that I may be ignoring the real question: What do I want?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment