Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reflections for 3/16/10

"We say 'give us this day our daily bread.' How strange these words sound to a people with savings accounts, insurance policies and three-year warranties, even on their toasters!" (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 129)

Like most people I too have all of those things, well maybe not a warranty on the toaster, but certainly on the car, well at least a service contract. I also of course have my annuity for when I retire.

I don't know if I have these things because I'm afraid of financial disaster or never having enough, or just because I was told that is the financially responsible thing to do. But whatever reason, it is true that I seem to have more than my daily bread in terms of material things.

When I hear that part of the Lord's Prayer, I often picture asking God, to give me what I need to get through this day. Most of that is not material. I'd like enough energy and focus to get done what needs to get done, that is for me the daily bread.

Funny how those things we think will give us security are actually quite risky. The recent economic situation has put many in a precarious state. I'm thankful I don't need that retirement account right now, and will hope that in 14-20 years its still there.

For now I'll just have to live with what I have and say thank you for the daily bread.

Blessings,
Ed

1 comment:

  1. "Our daily bread" has always symbolized more than just "bread" for me. Part of my daily prayer ritual has always been to request strength for another day. Sometimes I think it may be a tall order, but as a person who tends to take "one day at a time", I believe that God does hear me and while I don't always have good days, I always seem to find the will to make it through each day. Yes, I am thankful for my daily bread and sometimes God even offers a larger slice.

    ReplyDelete