Friday, January 16, 2015

Reflection for January 16, 2015

"There could be no bargaining with God, in a petty poker table atmosphere; 'I have done this; therefore, you owe me that.'  Jesus utterly destroys the juridic notion that our works demand payment in return."(Reflections for Ragamuffins January 16)

In our world we expect payment for services rendered.  Unless of course we volunteered to do something.  Yet even there, we might expect perhaps a thank you.

We can also get into emotional manipulation, "think of all I've done for you!"

We don't do things on behalf of Christ to earn our salvation of course.  We do them as a loving response to that gift.  We aren't required, otherwise it wouldn't be free.  But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me not to.  It just seems natural.

So I think I'll keep on seeking opportunities to serve.  If I get thanked that's fine.  But if I don't get any recognition from others that is also fine.  The only recognition I really need is my own and God's.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment