Thursday, January 8, 2015

Reflection for January 8, 2015

"Authentic prayer calls us to rigorous honesty, to come out of hiding, to quit trying to seem impressive, to acknowledge our total dependence on God and the reality of our sinful situation."(Reflections for Ragamuffins January 8)

Prayer has been defined as a conversation with God.  When I think of the best conversations I've had with others including God, they are those where I could truly be me.  Where I could bare my soul, the hurts, the let downs, and hear back a reality check.

Rigorous honesty involves a very deep self examination I would think.  It doesn't allow for excuses or pity parties.  The trust that I have in the person listening allows me to not have to hide.  Here's who I really am, help me to accept it and to amend or improve it.  I do think an honest self examination can include seeing where we get it right.  But we don't need to get to self congratulatory but at least know of the good things that we do.

My dependence on God is that I trust that I will be listened to and encouraged to be honest in my self assessment. And to seek further strength and guidance as I strive to be all that God wants me to be.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment