Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Reflection for January 21, 2015

"But only Jesus revealed that God is a Father of incomparable tenderness, that if we take all the goodness, wisdom, and compassion of the best mothers and fathers who have ever lived, they would only be a faint shadow of the love and mercy in the heart of the redeeming God."(Reflections for Ragamuffins January 21)

I can say the Our Father with the best of them.  But I've never really viewed God as some divine parent.  That would be way to narrow a view of God.  I also know that constantly referring to God as Father, can be problematic because sometimes our earthly father's were not so great, loving etc.   I realize that all that is doing is projecting our earthly experience out onto God, but we do this unintentionally and can't ignore the fact.

I will also say that it doesn't help to change it to Mother.  Same problem really.  The naming of God is always going to be problematic.  We can actually only name our experiences of God which is not going to be the same for everyone.

For me the limiting parental language will not have the final word.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment