Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Reflection for January 7, 2014

"Peace and joy go a -begging when the heart of a Christian pants for one sign after another of God's merciful love. Nothing is taken for granted, and nothing is received with gratitude. The troubled eyes and furrowed brow of the anxious believer are the symptoms of a heart where trust has not found a home."(Reflections for Ragamuffins January 7)

When I reflect on my own spiritual and emotional state, I would say that for the most part I am usually in a good place. I experience peace and joy. I generally believe good things will happen for me and am happy with what I have.  I  am rarely anxious.

But there are times when none of the above is true.  And interestingly enough I find that they all go at once.  When I'm conflicted I feel sad.  I begin to doubt that anything will go right and I start to notice what others have that I don't.  And I begin to get anxious about whether any of it will turn around.

What I find keeps me from having those moments take total control for ever is that nagging little voice that keeps saying trust me, I'm here even in this valley period.  Don't look for flashy signs for this.  You'll know it to be true when you see the end result.  You won't see very clearly with troubled eyes, a furrowed brow will only mar your outward appearance.  Find room within yourself to trust.

Is that easy to do when everything seems to be caving in. Certainly not.  But what keeps it all from collapsing is that trust.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment