Sunday, January 4, 2015

Reflection for January 4, 2014

""If the question were put to you, 'Do you honestly believe that God likes you?'-not loves you because theologically he must-how would you answer?"(Reflections for Ragamuffins January 4)

I've always been convinced that there is a huge difference between like and love.  I know that I will always love my sons.  I can't guarantee that I will always like everything about them. I'm sure this is true for anyone we say we love.  There will be times when we or they disappoint, and we may not like the action they have taken.

While I firmly believe that God loves me unconditionally, it is a much harder proposition to live into being liked all the time.  I am sure that I have fallen short more than once.  But it is that loving part that allows for the second chances.  It is the loving part that invites me to try harder to have God like me.

And this is true of my relationships as well.  It is my love for others that gets me passed when I don't like what is happening.  That helps me to confront and deal with the person in a loving way that invites the reconciliation.  It is perhaps knowing that I am loved that allows me to hear when I've disappointed someone.

Love doesn't overlook it helps us overcome.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment