Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Reflection for January 25, 2014

"Paradoxically what intrudes between God and human beings is our fastidious morality and pseudopiety."(Reflections for Ragamuffin January 25)

I've never viewed the Bible as a great book rule book, from which I get a gold star sticker at the end of each day when I manage not to violate some aspect of the rules.  It certainly wouldn't dawn on me to make a big show of how holy I am.

Morality and ethics for me is not about keeping rules, but it is more by living with in the spirit and the framework which God sets forth.  And because I believe that God sees and knows everything I am up to, putting up a holier than thou front, will not fool God.  Being who I am, and striving to be better is what I am called to do.  To be free to acknowledge when I mess up or fall short, knowing that I will be given another chance to try again.

If I'm to busy keeping score on myself and others, I will never experience the grace of God in my life.  And in fact might start to get angry with God, for not helping me understand what foolishness that stance is.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment