Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Reflection for January 20, 2015

"Physical fasting from food is the joining of the body to the spirit's hunger for God."(Reflection for Ragamuffins January 20)

When it comes to spiritual disciplines or practices that are available to religious folks, it almost feels like a buffet.  You can certainly sample different types. Some may come specifically from your tradition, others may have been taken from others traditions and adapted to your faith.  I certainly have tried them all.

Fasting however is one that has never worked for me.  A good part of this is that I am a food addict.  I confess that.  I have tried it and all I got was a splitting headache, which reminded me that I was hungry.  I did not feel closer to God at all.  So I have chosen not to fast, but to find other ways to encounter God and to draw nearer to him.

I can admire those who do know how to fast and find a deep spiritual connection while doing so. I would never tell someone not to fast. It just doesn't work for me.  But like that buffet line image, we should try things out and find out what works for us and what we gain satisfaction from.  The beauty of a buffet is you can go back to what you liked.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment