Monday, February 14, 2011

Reflections for 2/14/11

"Every once in a while, if only to keep their hands in, Christians are supposed to be Christs to each other for Christ's sweet sake, so I steeled myself and went to call on  her one winter afternoon. I expected the worst, of course, because that is my nature. I expected a long, dreary monologue. I expected plenty of complaints with some tears to go with them. I expected to feel awkward and inadequate. I expected to be bored and hoped to get away as soon as I decently could. And  I couldn't possibly have been more wrong on every count."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 46)

One of my favorite things to do as a priest is pastoral visits to shut ins.  I have colleagues that will do it, but hate it. I truly enjoy it.  I'm not sure why, but those visits energize me.  I get to listen to stories and people sharing their lives and actually feel like I'm accomplishing something.

Part of it may be that I no longer have grandparents, and these visits remind me of times with them.  I also know that these visits are important to these folks. It keeps them connected to their church.  Often gives them some level of human contact and lets them know that they still matter.

Visiting hasn't always been easy. I understand some of what Buechner is speaking of. What will you talk about?  Am I going to hear the same stories over and over again?  Yet like Buechner I too have found that I am usually wrong about what is going to happen. And am often pleasantly surprised by what does.

I don't think Jesus would have it any other way.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment