Monday, February 28, 2011

Reflections for 2/28/11

"A Christian is one who is on the way, though not necessarily very far along it, and who has at least some dim and half-baked idea of whom to thank.  A Christian isn't necessarily any nicer than anybody else. Just better informed." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 58)

So what makes me a Christian? Well I know I've gone through the proper initiation of baptism.  But so have lots of folks who wouldn't claim to be Christian.  I've been Confirmed, but see previous comment on that.  I do believe certain things about who Jesus is, and I think that's foundational.  I try to pattern my life after Christ's, and I believe that's essential.

I certainly have met plenty of Christians who have right belief, but wrong praxis.  I've met many folks who've got the praxis part correct, but no belief to undergird it.

I do consider myself on the way.  On an earthly pilgrimage with God showing the path, Christ walking with me, and the Holy Spirit, nudging me along.  I'm certainly not close to finishing the journey.  I know who to thank and I know those who have shared time with me on that journey, and I'm thankful for them as well.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment