Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reflections for 2/15/11

"Because the word that God speaks to us is always an incarnate word-a word spelled out to us not alphabetically in syllables, but enigmatically, in events, even in the books we read and the movies we see-the chances are we will never get it just right. We are so used to hearing what we want to hear and remaining deaf to what it would be well for us to hear that it is hard to break the habit. But if we keep our hearts and minds open as well as our ears, if we listen with patience and hope, if ewe remember at all deeply and honestly then I think we come to recognize,beyond all doubt, that, however faintly we may hear him, he is indeed speaking to us, and that, however little we may understand of it, his word to each of us is both recoverable and precious beyond telling." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life pp. 46-47)

I'd like to believe I'm an open minded person. That I'm willing to listen to view points that are not mine.  I also know that I am rarely persuaded by even the most reasonable arguments from those whose way of seeing the world is not mine.

I of course am not unique in that.  I haven't yet met the person who comes into a discussion without a fairly fixed idea of what the answer is.  Our ideologies are one of the biggest dividing lines that our world maintains.  That division is the very mud that keeps things moving at a snails pace.

It is hard not only to listen to others, but to listen to God as well.  In order to hear that voice, we have to shut out all the other voices clamoring for attention, including our own.  To let go of all pre-conceived ideas and biases we have.  Yeah I know good luck with that.

Perhaps the Quakers have it right to sit in silence until someone is moved to speak.  I haven't been to a meeting to know if it actually works.  My cynical side would find it hard to believe.

I know that most of us tend to listen, to read or to watch only those mediums that we agree with.  It is certainly easier and less painful.  Those few moments that I've opened myself up to other mediums I'll admit my stomach gets churning.  And perhaps the only thing I learn is at least what drives the other side.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment