Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reflections for 2/27/11

"A wedding. A handshake. A kiss. A coronation. A parade. A dance. A meal. A graduation. A Mass. A ritual is the performance of an intuition, the rehearsal of a dream, the playing of a game."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 57)

I'm definitely a fan and practitioner of ritual. While I'd be described as the higher side of broad in my professional practice, personally I love real High Church liturgy. I love the smells and bells. The drama of it all. I especially love it when it is done well and with a sense of joy. 

Rituals of course go well beyond religious practice, though they are prevalent there for sure.  I have my rituals that sustain me each day.  Getting up at roughly the same time. Making the lunches for those departing for the day. Go on my walk. Come back, drink coffee, eat breakfast. Take a shower. Off to work.

Rituals help frame our day to day living.  Some might call them habits, but they give a sense of stability in our ever shifting world.

What are the rituals that sustain you? When you get out of them, do you notice?  Have you fallen away from some and are now trying to get back on track?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment