Thursday, February 3, 2011

Reflections for 2/3/11

"But though much of what these teachers said remains with me still and has become so much a part of my own way of thinking and speaking that often I sound like them without realizing it, it is they themselves who left the deeper mark."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 32)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I've been told, and I'm sure there are aspects of how I do things as a priest that if you knew who my "mentors" were you'd recognize them in me.  Of course not all of who I am is based on imitating others.  Inevitably though anyone who has had the smallest impact on our education, socialization etc, can be seen in us.

My hunch is this is true no matter what you are doing with your life.  Almost every aspect of our existence started with someone pointing something out, or our observing them.  Yes occasionally we can develop passions for things that no one would believe we would have based on who our parents and mentors were.

I have no idea why I love sports, until retirement my father had no time for pro sports.  I'm pretty sure I know where I developed my political persuasion, though I've tempered it some.

I do wonder if there will be imitations of me in the future.  Will there be a priest in the future who is doing it "Fr. Ed's way?"  I'm sure my sons will have some of my likes and dislikes. They may even, as happens from time to time become something opposite of what I stand for.  I still love them.

When you look at yourself, who do you see and hear from your past.  Is there someone out there now, who does the same thing and sees or hears you?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment