Thursday, February 24, 2011

Reflections for 2/24/11

"It is supposed to be good for the heart, the lungs, the muscles, and physical well-being generally. It is also said to produce a kind of euphoria known as joggers' high. the look of anguish and despair that contorts the faces of most of the people you see huffing and puffing away at it by the side of the road, however, is striking. If you didn't know directly from them that they are having the time of their lives the chances are you wouldn't be likely to guess it." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 55)

I'll admit it I'm not into running or jogging. Even when I was in peak physical condition in high school, I didn't like running.  My problem now is that I don't believe my knees can take the pounding, compound that with the extra baggage I still carry on my frame.

I have been going to the gym regularly now since May of last year.  I'm not a gym rat, but it has become a part of my routine.  I wouldn't say I like it or come out with an excercisers' high.  But I know that I do feel better physically than I have in years and I also know that by continuing to go, I will continue to improve and there will ultimately be less of me to love.

I believe a similar statement could be made about spiritual practices or just about any activity we do to better ourselves. On the outside we may not always give off an aura of happiness or satisfaction. Inwardly something different is going on.

I'm reminded of Jesus' statement that when you fast don't distort your face so that others may see your fasting.  Do the actions without the dramatics.  I suppose this is true of almost everything that we do.  When we're doing it for all the right reasons, no one should be able to tell just by looking at our outward appearance.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment