Thursday, February 24, 2011

Reflections for 2/23/11

"If you lose yourself in your work you find who you are. If you express the best you have in you in your work it is more than just the best you have in you that you are expressing."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.55)

I don't know that I get lost in my work too much.  I probably guard against work taking over  my life.  I certainly give the proper attention to what I do, and usually attempt to give my best when I'm "on."  But I find who I am is more complex than just a priest. 

Now the things I do well and enjoy the most in my work are being present for others and listening. Those are two skill sets I need to be effective in the other parts of my job.  What I've found to be true is that it is actually the best of what I have to offer outside of work.

I try to be present and a good listener to my family and friends outside of the church. Only they can tell if I've been successful in that.

Is what you do for work utilizing the best in you?  Or are your gifts and talents revealed elsewhere?  Does work seem to take over your life, or do you have time for other things as well, that make up who you really are?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment