Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Reflections for 2/1/11

"If anyone had told me as little as a year or so earlier that I was going to do such a thing, I would have been no less surprised than if I'd been told I was going to enter the Indianapolis 500."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.30)

If you had told me in my Senior year at Grinnell College, that I was going to spend most of my life as an Episcopal priest, I would have thought you were crazy.  As a preacher's kid, I knew better than to do that.  I so intentionally avoided the possibility that I had a career plan already in place.

I had so enjoyed being a tour guide for the college, that I did an internship with the Admissions Office.  I figured I would go find a job as an Admissions Counselor for two years, work my way up to an Assistant Counselor, then an Associate until finally reaching the pinnacle as Director.  Such an easy full proof plan.

And my first job was as an Admissions Counselor, however six months in, I knew I was not on the right path.  And entered the ordination process, in spite of what I knew. 

A piece of my original career failure that I hadn't really considered is that there was really only one college I wanted to work for.

I know for many people who go off to seminary it is a choice later in life. If you had asked them upon graduation if they saw seminary in their future, many would say no.

No matter when we finally find our true calling, one thing seems consistent, often what God calls us to do, is the last thing on earth we'd ever thought or imagined.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment