Monday, January 31, 2011

Reflections for 1/31/11

"When friends speak overmuch of times gone by, often it's because they sense their present time is turning them from friends to strangers." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.27)

One of the hardest things about reunions I think is the conversations. For folks who you haven't seen in 10, 20 or 50 years, unless you're ready to really listen, the temptation will be to go back to the familiar, recall the "good old days," even if they weren't so good.

Part of me wants to hear what others remember about me, and another part realizes that who I am now is somewhat different from the Ed of old.  I'd rather not keep someone stuck in my image of what I remember them being like in high school.  First off it isn't fair to them, and second how I relate to them now might be very different than it was all those years ago.

I think the more interesting conversations would be to really hear what someone has been doing with themselves lately. How have they changed? What are they doing with their lives? 

If the music weren''t so loud at these events, I might find some new friends in the old familiar places.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment