Sunday, January 23, 2011

Reflections for 1/23/11

"All I can say now is that something small but unforgettable happened inside me as the result of that chance meeting-some small flickering out of the truth that, in the long urn, there can be no real joy for anybody until there is joy finally for us all-and I can take no credit for it."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.21)

I have certainly seen moments in life where one sees someone else in worse shape than them and it pulls them out of their pity party.  I also know that it can be a real downer when something has gone very right for you and you want to share the good news and the person you most want to share it with has just had their world cave in. And you take a back seat. Even though it might be the right thing to do it still smarts.

Do I really believe that any joy I may feel is incomplete until everyone has joy in their life?  I think that would almost be joyless.  I do believe however that I cannot ignore the pain and suffering of others just because things might be going well for me at the moment.  And that I may be called to help those folks find some way to reconnect to that source of joy that is available to us all.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment