Friday, January 7, 2011

Reflections for 1/7/11

"The temptation is always to reduce life to size. A bowl of cherries. A rat race. Amino acids. Even to call it a mystery smacks of reductionism. It is the mystery."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 6)

When I first read the above quote, I recalled immediately the Erma Bombeck book If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What am I doing in the Pits.  And of course the famous line from Forrest Gump, "mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never knew what you were going to get."

The other two examples given, a rat race and amino acids seem to me to be a much more negative view of life.  But what about life as the mystery?

For me I would see that as approaching each day as if it were a mystery to be solved. One that I need to pay attention to the clues all around me. To face the unknown of each day, living out the command to Joshua, "be strong and courageous."  However unlike a mystery that eventually gets solved, life isn't like that for me. It is a slowly evolving and unfolding each moment, big or small.  Sometimes just when you think you have it figured out, a new twist comes along and the journey goes on.

Perhaps when I die, I will truly understand what this life was about. But for the moment, I'll have to live moment by moment, enjoying the cherries while spitting out the pits.  And while I never know what I'll get in that box of chocolates, I should know that occasionally I'm going to encounter some nuts.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment