Sunday, January 16, 2011

Reflections for 1/16/11

"When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.14)

If you are reading this reflection, there is a good chance that you got the link via Facebook.  I currently have over 600 "friends" on Facebook. I'll guess that probably a little more than half are people I have physically met.  There are some who I know via different list serves, and a few who were friended when I was playing Facebook games and need to increase my mafia size.

If I were to go through the half that I actually have met, I would probably have some memory of them.  I agree with Buechner that all encounters with others leave some sort of a mark.  I also know that some of my memories of folks, might not accurately reflect who they are now, or what they've become.  My hunch is the same would be true about me as well.

I can remember going back to my college reunion after only 5 years. I had just finished seminary and was about to be ordained. Going back to college where people remembered me as the guy with the "Heavy Metal Radio Show" they struggled to relate to the Ed that was soon to become a clergy person. For me I hadn't changed that much, but for those who only knew that one part it seemed like I had done a 180 degree turn.

One of the harder things to do, when reconnecting with folks from the past is to actually take more of an interest in their present.  If we have a past that we aren't as thrilled about, it's nice to not have to go back very often.  Of course there is also the cases where folks past were awesome.and their present is not so hot and they live as the Springsteen song put it their "glory days."

And as to his last part, the part about remembering deceased, I know this is true.  I can still here my grandfather's voice, know his face and while I haven't talked to him in a long time, I know where he left a favorable and lasting impression on me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment