Monday, January 24, 2011

Reflections for 1/24/11

"I no longer remember what I answered him either or what impression his words made on me except that they took me entirely by surprise. No, I must have told him. I had never considered such a thing. and that was the end of it except that out of all the events that took place during those five years of teaching at Lawrenceville, it is one of the few that I remember distinctly like an old photograph preserved by accident between the pages of a book."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 22)

Can you remember ever having a conversation with someone, that at the time seemed to be inconsequential but may have been the actually been the first sounding of what would happen later on for you.

I've tried to recall if I ever had any of those deep conversations with anyone about being a priest.  Honestly I can't recall anyone ever saying to me, "have you ever thought of being a priest."  Some might argue that being a priest's kid might have had some influence, and there is probably some truth in that. But I do not recall ever sitting down with my dad and having a vocational conversation. 

The closest thing I remember may have been some conversations with the priest in Grinnell, but they ended before they could get any traction because he was called to a different parish.  I know that I give him credit for planting the seed, or at least giving it the first round of fertilizer that it needed.

I find myself longing for another vocational conversation.  I'm not looking to leave the priesthood, but wonder what might be the next chapter in this vocation.  Finding someone to have that conversation with has been frustrating.  Perhaps I need someone to say have you ever considered.....

Perhaps you the reader have had that kind of a conversation with someone.  When you look at what you are doing now with your life, did anyone say to you "have you considered....."

I know that one of the things I've tried to do, is ask that question of others, who I see as potential priests.  Have you done any recruiting or mentoring of the next generation? Who could you plant a seed of thought with now, who later might say, I remember that conversation we had, thanks.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment