Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reflections for 1/26/11

"I started going to church regularly, and what was farcical about it was not that  I went but my reason for going, which was simply that on the same block where  I lived there happened to be a church with a preacher I had heard of and that I had nothing all that much better to do with my lonely Sundays."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.23)

I've always gone to church. I don't know that I've ever actually thought about why.  Certainly it could be argued that from birth through High School, being a priest's kid had a lot to do with it. Though I don't think my father counted on his families perfect attendance to validate him as a priest.  I'll admit that I enjoyed Sunday School and was an acolyte and sang in the Jr. choir.  So I was never just sitting there bored and grew up in a church where kids could participate fully.

In High School, I still wanted to go. Was doing the same activities and now there was even Youth Group, which at my church was active and vital. I even got to be a leader on the Diocesan Level, a little foreshadowing perhaps. Again though I didn't feel I had to be there. I just wanted to be.

College is often one of the dropping out points for folks.  Especially if they have felt required to go to church. No longer under the watchful eye of parents, sleeping in on Sunday became sleep time, or recovery time depending on what you did Saturday night.  For me it was different. I still wanted to go and I was fortunate that a terrific Episcopal Church, St. Paul's Grinnell, Iowa, with a great priest, Bob Towner, was just across the street from the campus.  That and a great Canturbury Club group kept my faith and my church going ways alive.

My first year out of college I still sought faith community. I found a church St. George's Newburgh NY, and really just wanted to go to 8 am. One time I went to the 10 am service, which in most Episcopal Churches has music.  The Rector heard me singing and suddenly I was in the choir.

Now of course I'm a priest. I once joked with my grandfather that I was going to church anyway, might as well get paid.  I will say that I think I would still be going if I weren't a priest.

But why?  For me it continues to be that when I add some structure to my routines, have some level of accountability I do better.  I could pray without going to church, but having a community to do it with, makes it more enjoyable and makes me more consistent. 

I feel certain that even in retirement I'll still go. What will be the criteria?  Good worship will be essential, do I leave feeling energized.  Is there involvement in outreach to the local community?  How are children treated in that place?  Those are the questions I'll be asking in time.  For now I'm just thankful that wherever I've been, I've found a spiritual home.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment