Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reflections for 1/12/11

"'Never question the truth of what you fail to understand,' the white pearl said when Rinkintink consulted it for the first time, 'for the world is filled with wonders.' It was a great wisdom indeed and has proved greatly helpful many times since."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.11)

I wonder how many times there are concepts or opinions that I didn't understand that instead of investigating further or asking more questions, I chose to ignore or dismiss?  If my truth is only what I understand or agree with, I doubt its much of a truth at all.

What I have experienced is that when I engage someone I don't agree with, attempt to understand how they've come to their conclusions, I may not completely change my own mind, but I will have a better understanding of where they are coming from, and realize perhaps some of the flaws in my own truths.

I do believe there is truth to be found. It usually is running between the multitude of opinions out there. Occasionally tapping you on the shoulder saying hey I'm over here, and as you head in that direction arriving at a new understanding you get to stay there for a while until it again calls out no I'm over here, and you move again.

Opinions and conclusions that stay fixed and never move in spite of new information are how ideologues are born.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment