Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Reflections for 1/10/11

"A crazy, holy grace I have called it. Crazy because who ever could have predicted it? Who can ever foresee the crazy how and when and where of a grace that wells up out of the lostness and pain of the world and of our own inner worlds?"(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 9)

Most of us know the hymn "Amazing Grace." I can relate to amazing grace. I do find that the notion of a crazy, holy grace also speaks to my experience of those moments in life that were grace filled.  They are crazy, because how things worked themselves out could not have been predicted. If they could be that wouldn't be grace that would be normal.

Grace is the moments when all is lost and you're about ready to throw in the towel and let despair take over, yet something stops you. And all of a sudden a different option appears and it is exactly what you needed to have, see or hear right then right now.

It is grace that allows me not to get overwhelmed by the nonsense that goes on in the world outside of myself, not in a numbing way, but in a way that makes me want to do something about it.

Hopefully you to have experienced moments of crazy, holy and truly amazing grace. If you have you'll never forget it. And you'll hope to experience it again and again.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment