Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reflections for 1/1/11

"Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 2)

Today begins another year. Lots of resolutions, college football games, reflecting back on the last year.  For this blog a journey with a new author Frederick Buechner.

As I look back on 2010 it seemed like a year that just was.  There was no real highs or lows for me.  There were times that were enjoyable, summer vacation, baptisms at church, my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. I did manage to write this blog consistently. I managed to join a gym and actually go. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but the body composition seems to be changing.

As I consider listening to my life, it sometimes feels like hearing the tide roll in at the shore. Consistent, not all that exciting.  Perhaps what I might try this year is to really see if I can figure out what are the real meanings behind all those moments, the boring and painful ones and the exciting and happy ones.

Perhaps 2011 can be a year when we are all more in touch with what is going on within ourselves and what God may be trying to say.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment