Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflections for 12/31/10

"People are spending their whole lives trying to earn what they already have, trying to be worthy of God. You don't get worthy; you are worthy. The only thing that initially separates you from God is the belief that are separate!"(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 35)

When I think of the primary relationships in my life: my wife, my extended family, my friends and God, I realize I've never had to earn anything with them.  In life the only thing I really have to earn now is my paycheck. 

Those relationships gave me love unconditionally, all waiting for my response. 
While it is true that I didn't earn those relationships, I still have to work at maintaining them.  I can't take them for granted. The greatest gift though is still that unlike a paycheck or a victory in sports, I didn't have to do much except to be myself, and to believe that I was truly loved.

When I start from a place of worthiness with God, I'm free to do things because I want to and they are the right thing to do.  There's no merit badge system with God.  The free gift of grace only asks for a positive response. For me that has been to extend that compassion and love to others.

And so ends the year with Richard Rohr. I wish you a Happy and blessed New Year. Tomorrow new year, new author to reflect with.  I hope you've enjoyed reading these as much as I've enjoyed writing them.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment